HERITAGES OF CANTONMENT BOARD DAGSHAI
- DAGSHAI JAIL
The Dagshai Central Jail was built by MES in 1849. It is one of the most popular cellular jails in North India. The prison was converted into a museum on October 13th, 2011. A unique T-shaped jail which was constructed with part stone masonry at a cost of Rs. 72,875 in the year 1849 which was a princely sum at that time. The 160-year-old cellular Jail has two sections of the museum – the Dagshai Jail, which contains 54 maximum-security prison cells- 8’x 12′ with 20-foot high ceilings and heavily barricaded roshandaans, doors and an exhibit area that displays archival photographs of the jail and its surrounding areas.
2. ST PATRICKS R C CHURCH
St. Patrick’s Roman Catholic Church was the first church to be built in the Dagshai Cantonment area and takes pride in being one of the biggest churches in northern India. The first construction plan was passed in the month of August 1835 and was completed in 1852. The total cost of the construction was Rs 5030 at that time. The St. Patrick’s Roman Catholic Church was looked after earlier by the missionaries of the English province who used to serve the Irish soldiers who were posted in Dagshai and Kasauli. Currently it is under the diocese of Shimla-Chandigarh.
3. DAGSHAI PARADE GROUND
Dagshai Parade Ground – Built by the British as a sanatorium for TB patients in Himachal Pradesh State, Solan District. In 1920 there was a large-scale mutiny by Irish soldiers stationed at Dagshai, in support of the independence struggle in their homeland. The victory parade of Second World War was marched here.
The initial matches of Durand Football Tournament or Durand Cup were also played in Dagshai Parade Ground. The Durand Cup was twice suspended, during the two world wars. It was in 1940 that the traditional venue of the matches was changed from Dagshai to New Delhi.
4. NEW EUROPEAN CEMETERY
An Officer’s Wife Rebecca Weston died along with her unborn child at Dagshai in December, 1909. The marble structure of women lying alogwith her body in lap of an eff showering blessings with her two hands was put upon the grave of Mary at the Anglican cemetery at Dagshai Cantonment outer area. During the British rule, Indians were not allowed to enter this area.
5. DAGSHAI ROMAN CATHOLIC CEMETERY (OLD EUROPEAN CEMETERY)
Garrison Cemetery No. 4 in the Cantonment of Dagshai is of Colonial era and was build in 1850 by Irish Soldiers. This is filled with graves of officials and soldiers who lost their lives in wars or succumbed to ailments. It also has a number of graves showing the history, love, faith and memorials of the dear ones. The available oldest tombstone is of English Henry Charles HM22nd Reg. Aged 20, on 2nd June, 1850 placed by his companions.
6. CHURCH OF ENGLAND
Church of England is located at Dagshai Cantt. The total area of church premises including surrounding is 0.65 Acre and it is managed by Indian Church Trustees. The construction of church is more than 160 years old and it is built up with stone masonry and nanital pattern mild steel roof supported on wooden trusses.
7. FITZWYGRAM QUARTERS
Fitzwygram quarters for the families of british Cavalry soldiers serving in India built in 1876. Now, this building is used as girl’s hostel of Army Public School, Dagshai.